Request for Proposals
Farmers’ Market Manager – Contract Position
Riverfront Farmers’ Market, Inc. is seeking a qualified firm or individual to manage the Riverfront Farmers’ Market (RFM) in downtown Wilmington, NC.
Riverfront Farmers’ Market, Inc intends to select the qualifying individual or firm based upon established qualifications, ability, relevant experience, cost and other pertinent factors. The firm or individual must have all required experience and attributes and will be required to accept a contract from the Riverfront Farmers’ Market, Inc. for this work.
Independent Contractor Period
The contract will begin upon hire and last until the end of November, 2020. The Proposer shall determine the annual fee necessary to perform all services as detailed within this request for proposals to be paid in monthly increments.
Established in 2003, the RFM has proven successful in fulfilling its mission of providing a place for local growers, producers, artisans and crafters to sell their goods directly to consumers, educating consumers about local farming and seasonal eating, encouraging and promoting use of locally grown farm products, and enhancing the quality of life in Wilmington by providing a community activity that fosters social gathering and interaction. Additionally, the RFM is an event which contributes to the City goal of making downtown Wilmington a destination location, attracting people and business to downtown merchants and retailers. The RFM takes place on Saturdays from 8 am -1 pm during the months of March through November.
Scope of Services
Market Manager Role
The role of RFM manager is to recruit vendors, provide administrative functions and oversee, promote and grow the Riverfront Farmers’ Market. This position will provide a range of market-related planning and promotions activities, and positive interactions with vendors and customers. We’re looking for someone who is out-going, organized, with social media and computer savvy who will be a champion for the Riverfront Farmers’ Market. This person will report to the Board of Directors. During the active market, you will need to be available Saturdays, March through November. A significant amount of time is also necessary in January – March to recruit market participants and plan for the upcoming season. Estimated average of 20 hours per week.
- Solicit vendors, track vendor attendance, payments, monitor vendor compliance, other required documentation
- Communicate with vendors about their intent to participate and the products they will make available each week. (This information will be used for weekly communication to the public through electronic newsletters, website, social media, etc.)
- Maintain accurate records & documentation with a secure back-up system
- Collect funds from vendors at the market and deposit at RFM financial institution, maintain market petty cash and provide detailed accounting
- Plan market events such as consumer education, entertainment, activities with children, cooking demonstrations, live music, and special theme days at the market
- Attend meetings with Board of Directors to report on market operations
- Arrive prior to vendor arrival and market opening. Prepare market site and provide set-up guidance and assistance to vendors, volunteers, and entertainment
- Assign vendor sites (weekly and seasonally). Collect weekly vendor fees at the opening of each market day and maintain appropriate records.
- Set up canopy for musicians
- Resolve any vendor conflicts as quickly and discreetly as possible per established policies and rules.
- Enforce market rules and food safety standards
- Be knowledgeable of vendors, products, rules and events of market in order to be as helpful as possible to customers
- Remain at market until vendors are finished and break down the market site and ensure the cleanliness of the market location
Vendor Relations & Support
- Serve as primary contact for potential/current vendors seeking to submit applications, providing guidance for compliance with market policies and procedures
- Identify key needs of vendors that can be addressed through training, policies, partnerships, and other support services and communicate this information to the Board of Directors
- Assist the in marketing and promotions efforts to benefit RFM
- Increase social media marketing footprint by posting regularly to RFM social media sites
- Represent RFM at relevant community planning meetings, activities and events
- Assist Board of Directors in seeking sponsors for RFM
- Promote the market using various strategies, primarily through creative, low-cost marketing techniques and effective local partnerships
- Develop and distribute weekly electronic newsletters to RFM vendors and customers
- Update website
Job Qualifications & Skill Set
- Experience with project management, event planning, community building and marketing activities
- Knowledge of current issues impacting agriculture, farmers’ markets, and local foods
- A working knowledge of web page maintenance, social media, email and e-news publishing Able and willing to work outside in all weather conditions
- Able to lift 40 pounds
- Strong communication skills and listening skills
- Ability to handle and mediate conflict in a productive manner
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask
- Strong knowledge of all market rules and regulations
- Efficient basic math skills
- Ability to represent the market in a consistently positive and friendly manner
- Maintains a level of professionalism when dealing with the public
- Must be punctual and able to handle working very early mornings
- Ability to work independently as well as manage a team setting
- Must check email and answer phone calls regularly
- Ability to act as an enthusiastic ambassador for the market, growers, consumers, and the larger community
- Demonstrated performance as self-starter with the ability to assess and solve issues as they arise, follow through on details, and build effective relationships with others
- Must own a smart phone, be skilled at texting, using a computer, sending email/newsletter
- Demonstrated organization skills to maintain vendor, volunteer, EBT and other databases
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills for dealing effectively with the public, volunteers, vendors, musicians and groups whose events coincide with the market, including conflict resolution skills. Sense of humor and capacity to multi-task and manage stress in healthy ways are essential characteristics
- Grant writing experience a plus
Proposals accepted until 5:00pm on November 29, 2019
Please submit proposals to include, fee to perform services, resume and three references to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact R.T. Jones, Riverfront Farmers Market Board Member, at (910) 523-9003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Riverfront Farmers’ Market, Inc. reserves the right to accept or reject any or all proposals, waive irregularities, and to accept the proposals either on an entire or individual basis that is in the best interest of the RFM.